Platform tennis is an American racquet sport enjoyed by thousands of people of all ages. It is the only racquet sport that players can enjoy outdoors in cold weather. This unique appeal attracts people who desire fresh air, competition, and social engagement -all on a chilly winter’s night.
The sport is played at private clubs, public facilities, and in backyards at both highly competitive and purely recreational levels. Because it is easy to learn, it is enjoyed by players as young as eight and as old as old bones allow.
Platform Tennis Equipment
You don’t need a lot of gear to play platform tennis, but there are a few essentials you will need to start with. Obviously a paddle is crucial, as is a ball, footwear and court, but you might want gloves as you are playing in freezing temperatures, sunglasses as the sun is bright and low in winter and a bag to keep everything in.
To help, I have listed some great choices for each of these types of platform tennis equipment, or you can take a look at the detailed buyers guides in the review section.
Unlike the majority of the racquet games, in platform tennis, we usually use paddles, and not the regular racquets with strings.
Graphite and Titanium platform tennis paddles have quickly become the standard for both recreational and competitive palyers. These paddles feature a molded, one piece design that absorbs the shock of hitting the ball in the head of the paddle instead of in the player’s elbow or shoulder.
- GRUUV optimizes spin and feel through angled holes that maximize ball contact on the paddle surface and allow edges to grab the ball more effectively
- Pro Density Foam contains the highest density in the game today for solid strikes with ultimate control
- No Grit Zone establishes unparalleled comfort by removing the rough grit texture from the bottom of the paddle
- Weight oz/grams: 13.2/375
- Grip sizes: 4 1/4
- Surface area: 82 sq. inch
- Weight: 360g
- Core Density: Lite
- Grip Sizes: 4 1/4"
- Weight oz/grams: 12.9/365
- Grip sizes: 4 1/4
- Surface area: 82 sq. inch
One more thing that makes this game stand out is that the balls used here are spongy and come with a flocking layer, and not a felt one.
The spongy, rubber ball measures 2.5” in diameter. A flocking material on its exterior keeps the ball from skidding.
- 2 Platform Tennis Balls per Box
- EXD technology for extended durability
- Long Lasting High Visibility Yellow
- #1 Selling Ball since 1999
- Sleeve contains 3 balls
- "Extra Duty" Ball promises longer lasting flock and durability
- 3 Platform Tennis Balls Per Sleeve
- APTA Approved
- High Visability Yellow
- Platform Tennis balls- 3 sleeves of balls, total of 9 balls
- New More Durable Formula!
- Designated for Summer / Warm Weather Use.
Platform tennis is not just about paddles and a court, having the right footwear is a crucial part of winning and staying injury free.
As platform tennis is similar to other paddle and racket sports, finding a good pair of platform tennis shoes is actually a little easier than you might expect. Shoes designed for badminton, pickleball, tennis or volleyball are all excellent choices and perform extremely well on a platform tennis court.
You need to look for a shoe with excellent ankle support as twisting ankles is a common problem as is impact, so make sure you choose a shoe with good cushioning.
- Regular fit
- Lace closure
- Leather upper
- Tennis shoes with a TPU chassis for stability
- Regular fit; Lace closure
- Abrasion-resistant textile upper offers soft comfort; Abrasion-resistant Adituff toe
- adidas womens Tennis Shoe
- The adidas brand has a long history and deep-rooted connection with sport. Everything we do is rooted in sport.
- Driven by a relentless pursuit of innovation as well as decades of accumulating sports science expertise, we cater for all, from elite professional athletes and teams to any individual who wants to...
- Abrasion-resistant tennis shoes with a Bounce midsole for long-lasting comfort on the court
- Regular fit; Lace closure
- Mesh upper for breathability
Winter is cold, there is no getting away from that, so keeping your hands warm is important to your game. If you want to win, you need to keep yourself warm, especially your hands, this is the bottom line.
As the cold weather has such a huge impact on the sport, gloves and mitts have been designed to enable players to stay warm, keep their hands freely moving and improve grip on their paddles.
There is an excellent selection of platform tennis gloves and mitts available, and some players are finding that racquetball gloves are a very good alternative.
- Silicone grip for optimal hold
- Elastic wristband for superior comfort
- Keeps your hand warm on the coldest of days
- The Tourna Hot Glove Mitt has openings on both sides
- Just slip your hand into one side of the mitt and insert the racquet handle or paddle handle through the narrow opening at the top. Easy to put on, easy to take off.
- Ultimate feel in any weather
- Design makes two-handed backhand easier
- Waterproof outer
- Keep your hands warm while maximizing control over your grip.
- Don't get caught in the cold without one of these true tested accessories.
If you have played any sport, you will know that you end up with a ton of gear to carry around from match to match. Platform tennis is no different, especially as it is played in the winter months.
Platform tennis bags are designed to carry around everything you need, from spare paddles, balls, gloves, shoes, sweaty clothes, towels and shower gel.
- AMPLE STORAGE SPACE: Each racket backpack features a large main compartment, a front racket compartment, as well as an exterior zippered accessory pocket for smaller items such as your phone or keys.
- CARRY COMFORTABLY: Adjustable padded shoulder straps offer a comfortable fit even when the athletic backpack is at full capacity.
- UP TO TWO RACQUETS: The equipment bag's main racquet compartments offers enough room for up to 2 racquets or 1 racquet with other court essentials. Keep your racquets properly protected and playing...
- REVERSIBLE SHOULDER STRAPS - Comfortable, padded shoulder strap easily flips between the LEFT and RIGHT sides. No matter which side you prefer to wear your sling bag, we've got you covered.
- TONS OF POCKETS TO FIT EVERYTHING - Our sling bags feature 5 pockets and external water bottle holder. Main compartment can hold up to 6 pickleball paddles, 2 tennis or raquetball rackets, or up to a...
- HIDDEN ANTI-THEFT POCKET & EXTERNAL WATER BOTTLE HOLDER - The hidden pocket on the back keeps the contents against your back when carried as a backpack so pickpockets do not have access to the...
- 【ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAPS】The adjustable shoulder strap can not only adjust the length but also can be worn on your left or right shoulder.You can choose the method that suits you.
- 【LARGE CAPACITY】This pickleball bag has 5 pockets and a water bottle holder. It can hold 6 pickleball paddles,some pickleball balls or more than 2 table tennis paddle sets with balls or up to a 15...
- 【GOOD QUALITY】Himal pickleball backpack bag is made of excellent fabric and durable zipper.Dimensions:14"Wx6"Dx20"H.
- TOP QUALITY: Build with Carbon Fiber Surface Provide Durable Performance, With top Material and new Technology to make sure each paddle will serve you well and last you a very long time and playing...
- BUILD TO PERFECT: Build From a Pro Level Production line, a perfect combination of responsiveness and control, gives players incredible feel and Power, ideal choice for the hungry players seeking...
- WORTH TO BUY: With years of experience cooperation with professional players, and We only use the real first class carbon fiber material to build the perfect paddle, each paddle has been tested with...
Platform Tennis Sunglasses
Platform tennis like regular tennis is an enjoyable sport to play in the sunshine, but unfortunately the sun can really, well, get in your eyes and ruin your game. So a lot of players have a pair of tennis sunglasses ready at hand, so they can enjoy the sun and still play a great game of platform tennis.
The below eyewear is designed for racket sports and are safe to wear on the court.
- Matte Black/Blue frame
- Size: medium
- Polarized gb-10 lens
- Lens: Brown emerald
- Lens category: 3
- Technologies: anti-fog; Anti-Scratch; oleophobic; hydrophobic; Anti-Reflective
- 100% UV PROTECTION: Oakley Plutonite Lenses provide 100% UV Protection filtering of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400mm. Oakley's lightweight Plutonite lens material offers superior...
- PRIZM GOLF SPORT LENSES are designed to help you spot transitions between the fairway, fringe and rough, gauging distance with accuracy to help you read the course better in low to medium light...
- PATENTED HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS (HDO): Oakley's high definition optics provide superior optical clarity and razor-sharp vision at every angle.
- Homopolyamide nylon characterized by an extremely high alternative bending strength
- Clarion blue polarized lens
- Includes a hard shell zippered case and microfiber cleaning bag
Platform Tennis Court
While tennis players love the game for a plethora of reasons, the best one amongst them is the one you can play year-round, even in cold times, owing to the elevated, and oftentimes heated platform that makes it a breeze to remove ice and snow.
Platform tennis— or “paddle” as it is affectionately called by players— has been enjoyed at country clubs and in backyards in the Northeast and Midwest for decades. Now, as avid players flock to warm weather communities, Advantage Paddle Courts is bringing the game to regions south of the snowbelt.
By eliminating the raised platform and installing the courts on concrete and asphalt pads you can reduce the height and, more importantly, the cost of paddle court installations.
Traditionally a winter sport, paddle can be enjoyed year-round and is especially appealing when the temperature dips, when other outdoor sports are less alluring. At 1/4 the size of a tennis court, a paddle court is a great recreational choice when space is limited.
The game is played on an elevated aluminum deck 1/4 the size of a regulation tennis court, a 60’ x 30’ deck with a 44’ x 20’ in-bounds area and a 34″ net.
The base of a platform tennis court is usually enclosed, allowing for a heating system beneath the deck (propane, natural gas or kerosene.) The heating system melts ice and condensation off the aggregate deck surface, allowing athletes to play outdoors in all weather conditions. Most courts have lighting systems for nighttime play. While the official platform tennis season runs from Fall through Winter, the game can be enjoyed year-round.
The court is surrounded by a 12’ high superstructure with taut “chicken wire” fencing which allows play off the walls, as in racquetball and squash.
Perfect Community Sport
Since paddle is easy to learn and contained within screened walls, the sport is enjoyed by all ages and ability levels. More competitive than “pickleball,” more social than tennis… Paddle is the perfect sport for your home, club or community.
Two or more courts, with a small hut and patio for gatherings, make a wonderful recreational facility for a gated community.
Unlike golf courses and swimming pools, the low operating expense and minimal maintenance needs of a paddle facility are especially appealing to money managers.
- A heavier racket would be more lasting, but harder to play with
- A better-density paddle usually offers more stroke power because of the quick trajectory of the ball of your paddle face and the mass of your paddle
- Paddles with high density are usually the first choice of players with well-versed hands on the ball and who want power from their paddle
- While a paddle with lower density gives you more control, it offers you less power because of it absorbs the energy of the ball when the impact takes place. The lower density paddles are generally lightweight and are easy to move. Making it preferred for the people looking for paddles that can be swung easily, or people who are not very experienced and aren’t really concerned about the stroking power and more focused on the placement of their ball.
We’ve got the platform tennis equipment you need to ramp up your playing experience. Be it paddles to shoes, gloves to paddle accessories, we’ve got it all.