Platform tennis is an American racquet sport enjoyed by thousands of people of all ages. It is the only racquet sport that players can enjoy outdoors in cold weather. This unique appeal attracts people who desire fresh air, competition, and social engagement -all on a chilly winter’s night.
The sport is played at private clubs, public facilities, and in backyards at both highly competitive and purely recreational levels. Because it is easy to learn, it is enjoyed by players as young as eight and as old as old bones allow.
Platform Tennis Equipment
You don’t need a lot of gear to play platform tennis, but there are a few essentials you will need to start with. Obviously a paddle is crucial, as is a ball, footwear and court, but you might want gloves as you are playing in freezing temperatures, sunglasses as the sun is bright and low in winter and a bag to keep everything in.
To help, I have listed some great choices for each of these types of platform tennis equipment, or you can take a look at the detailed buyers guides in the review section.
Unlike the majority of the racquet games, in platform tennis, we usually use paddles, and not the regular racquets with strings.
Graphite and Titanium platform tennis paddles have quickly become the standard for both recreational and competitive palyers. These paddles feature a molded, one piece design that absorbs the shock of hitting the ball in the head of the paddle instead of in the player’s elbow or shoulder.
- TOP QUALITY: Build with Carbon Fiber Surface Provide Durable Performance, With top Material and new Technology to make sure each paddle will serve you well and last you a very long time and playing...
- BUILD TO PERFECT: Build From a Pro Level Production line, a perfect combination of responsiveness and control, gives players incredible feel and Power, ideal choice for the hungry players seeking...
- WORTH TO BUY: With years of experience cooperation with professional players, and We only use the real first class carbon fiber material to build the perfect paddle, each paddle has been tested with...
- Weight - 13.8oz/390g
- Density - Pro
- Grip Size 4-1/4in & 4-1/2in.
- Weight - 12.6oz/360g
- Density - Light
- Grip Size - 4-1/4 & 4-1/2
- Weight: 370g
- Core Density: Smart
- Grip Sizes: 4 1/4"
One more thing that makes this game stand out is that the balls used here are spongy and come with a flocking layer, and not a felt one.
The spongy, rubber ball measures 2.5” in diameter. A flocking material on its exterior keeps the ball from skidding.
- 3 Platform Tennis Balls Per Sleeve
- APTA Approved
- High Visability Yellow
- #1 Selling Ball since 1999
- Sleeve contains 3 balls
- "Extra Duty" Ball promises longer lasting flock and durability
Platform tennis is not just about paddles and a court, having the right footwear is a crucial part of winning and staying injury free.
As platform tennis is similar to other paddle and racket sports, finding a good pair of platform tennis shoes is actually a little easier than you might expect. Shoes designed for badminton, pickleball, tennis or volleyball are all excellent choices and perform extremely well on a platform tennis court.
You need to look for a shoe with excellent ankle support as twisting ankles is a common problem as is impact, so make sure you choose a shoe with good cushioning.
- Abrasion-resistant tennis shoes with a Bounce midsole
- Regular fit; Lace closure
- Mesh upper for breathability
- Breathable tennis shoes with a Cloudfoam midsole for long-lasting comfort on and off the court
- Women's-specific fit; Lace closure
- Breathable mesh upper with TPU reinforcements for support
- Breathable tennis shoes with a Cloudfoam midsole for extra comfort
- Regular fit; Lace closure
- Breathable mesh upper with TPU reinforcements for support
- Solid Rubber Outsole: Provides enhanced durability and traction.
- Forefoot GEL Cushioning System: Enhances shock attenuation during propulsion.
- Trusstic System Technology: Reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
Winter is cold, there is no getting away from that, so keeping your hands warm is important to your game. If you want to win, you need to keep yourself warm, especially your hands, this is the bottom line.
As the cold weather has such a huge impact on the sport, gloves and mitts have been designed to enable players to stay warm, keep their hands freely moving and improve grip on their paddles.
There is an excellent selection of platform tennis gloves and mitts available, and some players are finding that racquetball gloves are a very good alternative.
- Keep your hands warm while maximizing control over your grip.
- Don't get caught in the cold without one of these true tested accessories.
- Backing & lining: extra duty fleece provides ultimate warmth
- Palm: premium sheepskin for superior performance & soft feel
- Wristband: elongated strap protects against the elements
- Silicone grip for optimal hold
- Elastic wristband for superior comfort
- Lightweight performance design. Four-way-stretch knit backing.
- Warm foam insulation.
- Tackified premium suede leather palm for enhanced grip.
If you have played any sport, you will know that you end up with a ton of gear to carry around from match to match. Platform tennis is no different, especially as it is played in the winter months.
Platform tennis bags are designed to carry around everything you need, from spare paddles, balls, gloves, shoes, sweaty clothes, towels and shower gel.
- Features. Extra interior compartments for your paddle, shoes and cell phone. Shoulder and carrying straps are padded for comfort.
- Dimensions: 22" x 12.4" x 13". Weight: 1.72 lbs. Model: 7V426.
- Made in China.
- REVERSIBLE SHOULDER STRAPS - Comfortable, padded shoulder strap easily flips between the LEFT and RIGHT sides. No matter which side you prefer to wear your sling bag, we've got you covered.
- TONS OF POCKETS TO FIT EVERYTHING - Our sling bags feature 5 pockets and external water bottle holder. Main compartment can hold up to 6 pickleball paddles, 2 tennis or raquetball rackets, or up to a...
- HIDDEN ANTI-THEFT POCKET & EXTERNAL WATER BOTTLE HOLDER - The hidden pocket on the back keeps the contents against your back when carried as a backpack so pickpockets do not have access to the...
- Special Paddle Pocket Features a Divider Wall to Keep Paddles from Rubbing Together
- Adjustable Interior Divider, Lets You Set Up YourBag The Way You Like It!
- Front Slash Pockets for Easy Access to Gloves and Other Warm Stuff
- 2 tones (Navy/Red). One side of the bag is Red and the other side is Navy Blue
- Paddle Tennis Racket Holder. Dimension: 20" x 11" x 2"
- One main zipper compartment opening to protect your valuable racket from damage.
Platform Tennis Sunglasses
Platform tennis like regular tennis is an enjoyable sport to play in the sunshine, but unfortunately the sun can really, well, get in your eyes and ruin your game. So a lot of players have a pair of tennis sunglasses ready at hand, so they can enjoy the sun and still play a great game of platform tennis.
The below eyewear is designed for racket sports and are safe to wear on the court.
- ArmourSight lenses are engineered for superior optical clarity and impact resistance
- Ultralight ArmourFusion frames are built for maximum strength and durability
- Co-molded rubber nose pad and temple arms for a no-slip comfortable fit
- Shatterproof, optically decentered polycarbonate lenses
- LIGHTWEIGHT POLYCARBONATE FRAME: YOU WILL FORGET YOU ARE WEARING THEM In the middle of an adventure you cannot let heavy sunglasses weigh you down. The Hulislem Sports Polarized Sunglasses have...
- UV 400 MIRROR FLASH COATING The lenses are mirror flash coated. Which not only limits the amount of light that your eyes are exposed to, but also ensure that no light of wavelength 400 nanometers and...
- STRESS RESISTANT O MATTER FRAMES An active lifestyle means that your sunglasses will have to be tough and rugged enough to meet up to whatever challenges you throw at it. The specially designed Stress...
- See Better while playing Tennis, Pickleball, Golf, or Baseball with the help of the innovative Blue Tint lens that filters out grass, foliage, background fences, and sun
- You’ll be able to see the ball quicker and easier especially in sunny conditions
- Ultra-lightweight protective eyewear features a blue, distortion free, shatterproof polycarbonate lens that meets the most strict standard for ASTM F803. Polycarbonate eyewear is 10 times more impact...
Platform Tennis Court
While tennis players love the game for a plethora of reasons, the best one amongst them is the one you can play year-round, even in cold times, owing to the elevated, and oftentimes heated platform that makes it a breeze to remove ice and snow.
Platform tennis— or “paddle” as it is affectionately called by players— has been enjoyed at country clubs and in backyards in the Northeast and Midwest for decades. Now, as avid players flock to warm weather communities, Advantage Paddle Courts is bringing the game to regions south of the snowbelt.
By eliminating the raised platform and installing the courts on concrete and asphalt pads you can reduce the height and, more importantly, the cost of paddle court installations.
Traditionally a winter sport, paddle can be enjoyed year-round and is especially appealing when the temperature dips, when other outdoor sports are less alluring. At 1/4 the size of a tennis court, a paddle court is a great recreational choice when space is limited.
The game is played on an elevated aluminum deck 1/4 the size of a regulation tennis court, a 60’ x 30’ deck with a 44’ x 20’ in-bounds area and a 34″ net.
The base of a platform tennis court is usually enclosed, allowing for a heating system beneath the deck (propane, natural gas or kerosene.) The heating system melts ice and condensation off the aggregate deck surface, allowing athletes to play outdoors in all weather conditions. Most courts have lighting systems for nighttime play. While the official platform tennis season runs from Fall through Winter, the game can be enjoyed year-round.
The court is surrounded by a 12’ high superstructure with taut “chicken wire” fencing which allows play off the walls, as in racquetball and squash.
Perfect Community Sport
Since paddle is easy to learn and contained within screened walls, the sport is enjoyed by all ages and ability levels. More competitive than “pickleball,” more social than tennis… Paddle is the perfect sport for your home, club or community.
Two or more courts, with a small hut and patio for gatherings, make a wonderful recreational facility for a gated community.
Unlike golf courses and swimming pools, the low operating expense and minimal maintenance needs of a paddle facility are especially appealing to money managers.
- A heavier racket would be more lasting, but harder to play with
- A better-density paddle usually offers more stroke power because of the quick trajectory of the ball of your paddle face and the mass of your paddle
- Paddles with high density are usually the first choice of players with well-versed hands on the ball and who want power from their paddle
- While a paddle with lower density gives you more control, it offers you less power because of it absorbs the energy of the ball when the impact takes place. The lower density paddles are generally lightweight and are easy to move. Making it preferred for the people looking for paddles that can be swung easily, or people who are not very experienced and aren’t really concerned about the stroking power and more focused on the placement of their ball.
We’ve got the platform tennis equipment you need to ramp up your playing experience. Be it paddles to shoes, gloves to paddle accessories, we’ve got it all.